Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Underdogs
Underdogs. Even the word sounds downtrodden. But we do have quite a passion for underdogs, especially when against all odds they rise up triumphant. Even as a child I must have always cheered for the impossibly slow but persistent tortoise to win over that cocky hare. I'm not a boxing fan, and yet I enjoyed watching Rocky Balboa work hard and win the day. And what about Napoleon Dynamite? I was absolutely rooting for Napoleon in that big scene when he danced in front of the student body. When the students cheered I wanted to cheer too. We've all felt like underdog at times, and when we see them succeed in stories, they give us hope. That there might be justice in the world, and that all those dreams we dreamed weren't ridiculous after all. That we too can win the day. Humans dream big. But amazingly, God's dreams are even bigger than anything we can imagine. God is the ultimate dreamer--and when it comes to the underdog, He's the one cheering the loudest.

